LGBT discrimination

Pierce Nixon, Staff Reporter

Love is a strong word. Although it sends a positive message to some, to others, it can invoke hostility. Many of us seek to find that extra comfort in our life; we want to feel loved. This past June, the Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender (LGBT) community achieved a huge victory when the Supreme Court ruled marriage equality legal in all 50 states; yet, the war rages on. Out of the many challenges facing the LGBT community, the most common one is discrimination. Although marriage is now legal nationwide, many landlords may decline an application for housing if they suspect the applicant is LGBT. California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, Rhode Island, Vermont and Wisconsin are the only states that have laws to prohibit housing discrimination against LGBT.

An anonymous West High student said “As long as you are happy, does it matter who you fall in love with?”

Honestly, if people put human rights before religion, the world could be a better place. If members of all religions can live their lives with all their rights without prejudice, why do LGBT counterparts have to endure hell for the same rights? We are an intelligent race of diverse people, but we can’t fix the simplest of problems. Love should be an equal human right regardless of what gender you choose to love.

Some West High student had the following remarks to say.

An anonymous West High student said “LGBT are the strongest people I know for all the hate they are dealt with, yet somehow [they] stay so happy.”

“The LGBT community has come a long way in terms of equality, but we’re not completely there yet. Students use derogatory terms around another without considering the different meaning it may have towards others. We need a safe enough society where a child who is down or attacked for their sexual orientation or gender identification can live normally,” said senior Sandra Lobato.

“I feel that it’s about time for the LGBT community to be known amongst the people of 2015. But I feel we should not just be known and accepted among the people of 2015, but we should be here to inform them. We should inform them of the lives that have been taken, and the struggles of the likes of us. Not only that, but we should inform them of our very loving community. We are here to provide acceptance and cherishment [sic] to anyone and everyone. I want everyone to understand and feel the love and acceptance I felt once I realized I could trust myself to this community. This is a safe haven for LGBT members and non-members. We fight for love and give it all our passion. I hope others in the future will join in this war for love and acceptance,” said freshman Angelina Mendoza.

“My family found out that I was attending GSA meetings, and they asked my mother if I was a lesbian. She replied, ‘Not that I know of, but if she was, would it really matter?’ I’m human, she’s human, and we’re all just human. Your sexual orientation shouldn’t define who you are!” said senior Larissa McElroy.