West High celebrates Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. 20th annual breakfast

Kayla Goldsby, Opinion Editor

On Monday, January 18, West High School’s Black Student Union (BSU) partnered with Kimball High’s BSU to host the 20th Annual Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Breakfast held in West High’s cafeteria.

Masters of Ceremony Austyn Murphy, West High BSU President, and Shakira Kuumba, Kimball High BSU President, started off the program with the saying of the Pledge of Allegiance followed by the singing of the Negro National Anthem. Breakfast was then served by both West and Kimball BSU members followed by entertainment from them as well. West BSU members Anastasia Veal and Sakayla Simpkins performed a spoken word (see below) followed by a creative dance from Destanny Ford, Kacey Moore and Simpkins. Kimball’s BSU members Quinton Jackson, Julia Price and Julian Scott also performed. Afterward, guest speaker Mr. Steve Bacon spoke concluding with the acknowledgment of the MLK Image Award presented to West High’s Principal’s Secretary, Ms. Audrey Harrison.

The celebrations overall theme was: “The Man, The Movement: ‘Community Working in Unity to Change the World’”. West High’s BSU upheld its theme by partnering with Kimball High School, Tracy African American Association and the Tracy Unified School District. When asked how it was to work with West High BSU, Ms. Forehand, member of the Tracy African American Association said she appreciates the dedication of both schools in making this breakfast a success. Ms. Harrison, who has been involved with West High’s BSU for 13 years said, “(the purpose) of today’s event was to appreciate those who have been coming to the MLK breakfast for 20 years and to give thanks back to the community.”