Next Generation Science Standards

Next Generation Science Standards

Courtney Lee, Staff Reporter

The Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) was formed on July 19, 2011 in order to create new educational standards that are arranged coherently across all grades to provide every student an internationally benchmarked science education. Science Department Chair Randy Moehnke believes that “there is a lot of good ideas inside them” but does not necessarily agree with all it will do when, or if, implemented. He also believes that it will help students and science teachers because he thinks it will “encourage [the students] to think more like scientists and engineers rather than focus[ing] on the facts.”

If adopted, the NGSS will change how students choose classes. The implementation phase is set to take place in the 2016-2017 school year. The change will be declared a success when students demonstrate their understanding of how science works in different ways. The NGSS aims to combine concepts from different science classes starting at a young age so that students have a broader knowledge of the sciences. Information from cde.ca.gov states that, “Districts may choose to use the SBE adopted Appendix K: Model Course Mapping in Middle and High School for the [NGSS] for assistance when designing their high school courses.” If a district adopts the standards it is suggested that they implement the standards in every classroom. The standards will be geared for students in kindergarten to high school. It has not yet been announced which district will test it out first. Moehnke hopes that the NGSS will inspire more students to be interested in science and in turn pursue a career in science.