Boys basketball team advances to playoffs

Brenna Claus, Sports Editor

Basketball season is not over just yet. On February 12 the varsity boys basketball team beat Tokay 69-47 and clinched a playoff spot. Four days later on February 16, West took home another win and beat Tracy 69-41 to complete their regular season. Lodi (8-2) was ranked first in Tri-City Athletic League (TCAL), St. Mary’s (8-2) second and West (7-3) third. On February 24, No. 2 seed Modesto Christian will host the playoff game versus No. 15 seed West at 7pm.

How many of you have supported our boys basketball team by attending games? Did you ever wonder who works behind the scenes? Math teacher Ms. Theresa James has been working the scoreboard on and off for three years for boys and girls basketball home games. When asked about her thoughts on this year’s team, James said, “I think it’s one of the best teams we’ve had in a long time. They’ve got it all together. They’ve got all the little parts, you know. They’ve got all the positions filled and there’s no weak spots which is really nice.”

Over the years our school has seen many brilliant basketball players. One in particular is junior Ephraim Estell. He is 6’5” and plays Power Forward/Center. Making West High history, Estell received an award for being the first freshman to ever play on varsity. During his years playing on varsity he said that the team has played in a family type of atmosphere and that they stick by one another each and every game.

Our school has also stuck by one another by cheering on the boys varsity basketball team. When asked about how he feels about the Blue Crew cheering them on, he said, “Yeah, it helps a lot knowing that the school is supporting you and that you have support on your home court.”

Varsity head coach Derek Sprecksel has run the boys basketball program since 2009, after he took over for Steve Thornton. Ever since he has brought home many successful seasons.

West has an overall record of 17-10 and a league record of 7-3 and is ranked 336 in California and 3633 in the nation. Modesto Christian has an overall record of 26-1 and a league record of 14-0 and is ranked 13 in California and 55 in the nation. According to MaxPreps.com, West has a record of 1-8 in playoff games.

The basketball boys always worked hard in practice and never gave up in games. Through hard work and determination they achieved their goal: playoffs. Do you believe?

Support the varsity boys’ basketball team at Modesto Christian High School on February 24 at 7pm.