Music program’s new roots

Andrea Rivera, Staff Reporter

The music program at West has added a new addition and his name is Jonathan Raman. The program has struggled in the past, but Principal Mr. Troy Brown is proud to announce it’s back on track. Brown said, “It’s amazing to see how one person has changed the whole program around in such a short time… To be able to come in nine or ten weeks and bring a new perspective is truly amazing.” When asked why he chose Raman, Brown said, “The way he is able to connect with students was very clear… How much he loves music and his ideas about the program being successful was clear.” Raman has ideas to improve the music program. “First growing the culture here, meaning reaching out to the community, music culture and school… knowing the benefits of music can be used as a safe haven to the students and not to neglect it but accept it,” said Raman.

Sophomore Jacob Creasman would like to help improve the music program by, “participating in more activities with enthusiasm and attempting to get other students enthusiastic as well. Also helping out with Raman in whatever he is trying to do and improving my own personal skills.” He hopes for a music program with “strong resources that will allow students to develop their skill sets and achieve their full potential… Also the ability to take students off campus to concerts and see other professional musicians.”

Raman wants to help all the students feel safe in music and know they can reach out to others to get the help they deserve. Jumping into the school, Raman saw little structure in the program with small interactions between the students, teachers and the different music departments. When asked what he will bring from his past school, Raman said, “Coming from Cosumnes Oaks Wolf Pack, they had a lot of spirit, and any time we would sing the alma mater every student would sing out of their hearts, out of their souls the alma mater… I want to bring that spirit here. I want people to appreciate that ‘band geek’ or ‘band nerd’ and really have no bullying but respect.”

He hopes to reach out to middle schools in the area and show them what to look forward to. By having a clinic day, the students can play songs together and meet. He also hopes to bring other musical guests from colleges, in order to “build that college career path.” Raman wants to bring “more bodies in the seats and less bodies in the streets,” and to Ivy League colleges in any way possible way. If you are interested in the new and revised Wolf Pack music program, talk to Raman in K2.