Goodbye Wolf Pack, hello Grizzlies

Jocelyn Preciado, Staff Reporter

March 1, Assistant Principal Amy Thompson was announced as the new principal of Stein High School for the 2017-2018 school year. Thompson was initially a counselor at West High in 2006 before she left for Kimball as the head counselor. She was later promoted to assistant principal then returned to West in 2015 as an assistant principal. Thompson will be taking over for Ms. Cynthia Johannes, who is retiring after this school year.

She acknowledges the student issues West High initially had but is impressed with the growth the campus has made. “It has really cleaned up [and] is much friendlier,” said Thompson. She explained how she always loved the school along with the staff and students. Coming back though, she was able to build a new bond with students because her son had become a student of West High. Thompson describes her most memorable memories of being with the freshmen football team and leadership, attending the games and her husband and her grilling for all the kids.

“I’m excited because it’s a new challenge…and to work at a smaller campus [and] to know everyone by their names. I’m excited for that atmosphere.” She hopes to bring a new energy to Stein as principal and be another friendly face amongst “their great administration…and continue the good thing going on.” Thompson explained her goals of wanting to work with the current staff and students to improve life on the campus. “Every school has room for improvement, and I want to work with everyone and from there we can decide on what we need to work on.”

“Thank you to everybody; it has been a great experience and I’ll continue to push ‘Pack pride.” She is grateful for her time at West and will always remember her Wolf Pack family. One lesson she learned and will take with her is the idea of taking the time to get to know each other and building relationships on all levels. Thompson explained how “even though it’s not always easy, no matter how busy it gets, we have to make the time…I’m here for the students.”