Gurkiran’s Senior Reflection

Courtesy of LIfetouch

Gurkiran Kandola, News Editor

Four years ago, I walked onto this campus as a shy, timid and nervous freshman. I had no idea what to expect, no idea where to go and only knew my friends from middle school. It was very scary going to what seemed to be such a big and scary school, but what I know now that I did not know back then, was that everything turned out alright in the end.

It has definitely been a fun, crazy, stressful and overall worthwhile journey. I always thought high school was going to be like the movies; not much homework, doing fun things every day, and seeing freshman get shoveled into trashcans and toilets. But as you probably realized, I was completely wrong. Although it may not be what you originally thought, I can definitely say high school has opened me up to experiences, friendships and knowledge, which are things I will take with me on my way to college.

As a freshman, I would spent most (or all) of my free time playing video games or doing unproductive things. But if there is one thing I learned, it is never too late to change the path you are on. If I could offer advice to my freshman self or any underclassmen in general, there are many things I would say. First, do not be afraid to get involved. Some people think it is lame to be involved in clubs or extracurricular activities, but it’s the complete opposite. Through the clubs I joined during high school, I have made so many long lasting friendships and amazing experiences. Clubs are a great way for you to not worry about your course work and simply enjoy the experience. Second, the effort you put in is the outcome you get. Homework is definitely a thing I do not like, but honestly who does? Although it may be treacherous to complete that essay due the next morning or study for that big math test, if you put in the time and effort, you will be surprised. Trust me when I say procrastinating is the worst thing you can do. Although I have fallen victim many times (and continue to), spend that extra time you would have been messing around, and get your work done. It will make high school much easier, and I guarantee you will find it more enjoyable. Lastly, have a positive mindset. If you continue to think to yourself “Why do I have to be here?” and “I am only here because I have to be,” you will not have a good experience. Whether we like it or not, we all have to be here, but instead of focusing on the negative, focus on the positive! Sign up for classes you enjoy taking; high school is the perfect time to explore different classes/electives to find out what you like best. Enjoy the free time you have now, because once you finish high school, you will have a lot more responsibilities than you do now.

Overall, high school is what you make out of it! Although I didn’t realize it until now, without the decisions I made in the past I wouldn’t be the same person I am today. For me, high school wasn’t the monster I thought it was going to be, but it was actually (for the most part) fun! Yes it was stressful, staying up late finishing assignments, studying for tests, worrying about deadlines, etc. but it is something that I believe is necessary to experience! Yes, not everything will go great or how you expect, but remember you can get through it. Fight through the remaining years or months you have left, and if you believe in yourself, trust me you will not regret it. It’s definitely been an interesting four years, but I wouldn’t change a thing. Before I leave this campus and graduate there is one last thing I want to say. Make it a great day or not, the choice is yours. Goodbye West High!