Melany’s Senior Reflection

Photo courtesy of Lifetouch.

McCoy, Leslie

Photo courtesy of Lifetouch.

Melany Alas, News Editor

During our lifetime, we must pass through the unfortunate yet inevitable process of growing up. Looking back, I wish I had bitten my tongue when I would complain to my parents and friends that I wasn’t an adult already. Why did I want to grow up so badly? Even as I entered high school, I was waiting for the day I could graduate, move away and start a new chapter in my life. Now, that moment has finally come and to be completely candid it’s not exactly what it’s cracked up to be. I enjoyed being a kid; and, as much as a hate to admit it, I also enjoyed being in high school. It’s going to be odd to leave, but I’ve decided to look forward and be positive for what will be next in my life. With that said, I have compiled a list of things I will be doing differently in college from my experience in high school.

Number one: I will not care what people think. Entering high school as a freshman is already difficult enough but worrying about what others will say makes it infinitely worse. I get it, everyone wants to fit in, so did I when I first started, but trust me when I say you’ll enjoy school much more if you relax and be yourself.

Number two: I will not let grades consume my life. In high school, I would constantly be thinking about my grades. According to me, they were tied to my value as a person. Now, I am not disregarding their importance in getting into college and continuing an academic career, but grades never have, and never will define you. I’ve decided to just do my best to get the grades I deserve, not overwork myself for a grade while barely learning the subject.

Number three: I will have fun. There’s a quote that I often think about from Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.” It’s true, the 4 years at high school passed so quickly and I wish I would have slowed down and enjoyed it more. School games, spirit days, school trips, dances, hanging with your friends during class and after school, and just making memories- that’s where the true high school experience happens. I will remember those moments more than anything and I want to make sure there will be more to come.

Yes, there are some things I will change once I enter college, but that doesn’t mean I would change my high school experience. I’m so grateful for my family, friends, teachers and everyone who made the past four years so memorable. West High will hold a special place in my heart, a reminder that growing up doesn’t mean I have to give up being a kid at heart. Till next time Wolfpack!