Banned Books Week

Jasjot Kaur, Staff Reporter

For the third year in a row, Banned Books Week was held in the school library. Banned Books Week is an annual event that is hosted by the American Library Association. This function is organized to bring awareness to the fact that Constitutional rights are broken as the nation is told what they can and cannot read.

Schools, colleges and public libraries have been given lists of books that they are permitted to provide to the public. These establishments across the nation take part in this week to educate students and citizens on the infringement of their rights.

Ms. Susan Perry, one of West High’s school librarians, believes the goal of Banned Books Week is to get students more interested in books. Perry also wants students to realize the amount of books that have been banned and the ones that almost joined the list.

Our nation has been celebrating Banned Books Week since September 1982. According to Banned Books Week, the week-long event had been put in motion as a multitude of books had been classified as challenged in public libraries, book stores and schools. More than 11,300 books have been labeled as banned or challenged since 1982. Some of the various renowned and acknowledged books that sit on the list happen to be The Great Gatsby, To Kill a Mocking Bird, Animal Farm and The Lord of the Rings.

Perry said that she does not think most of the books on the list should be banned in the first place. Two banned books that Perry recommends to read are The Fault in Our Stars and Paper Towns, both written by John Green.

When it comes to the aspect of how students are limited, Perry stated, “It takes away your choice to read what you might be interested in or what you feel is appropriate for you.”

Banned Books Week is here to let you explore the diversity of novels and how they can transport you into riveting, different worlds. If you had not done so this year, we hope to see you next year at Banned Books Week in the school or local library!