Dear Wolfie…

Wolfie, Staff Reporter

Dear Wolfie,

There’s this guy in my English class and he’s SO cute. There’s only one problem: he doesn’t even know I exist! It’s like we’re in two completely different worlds and it seems like there’s nothing I can do about it. Is there anything I can do?

Sincerely,

A Lonely Juliet

Dear Juliet,

Well, that’s a tricky one. High school is a time of change and finding yourself, but as soon as you throw a cute boy into the picture it’s suddenly World War III. While stalking his Instagram and meticulously replaying his Snapchat story may give you the inside scoop on your “Romeo,” you have to remember there’s so much more to someone outside of a digital screen.

First thing’s first: smile. Smiling in general is proven to make one appear more welcoming and kind. Now I’m not saying sit in English for an hour with a smile plastered on your face in this boy’s direction (that would likely be terrifying). However, if you find yourself making eye contact, rather than abruptly turning away try shooting him a quick smile. This not only displays your open personality, but gets the ball rolling for the future. What exactly do I mean by this? Well, sooner or later, if you want to make yourself known to Romeo, you have to talk to him! This is way easier than you may think. Try striking up a conversation about a topic you both can relate to, such as how hard that last English test was, or how you can’t wait for the next big school event. Always remember to dip your toes into the shallow end before asking the big questions. We don’t want to scare the poor fella away, right?

Once you feel comfortable around your English cutie (he should know your name by now) try to get to know him better. You should also make yourself present to him outside of English class. Find out what lunch he has, and if you happen to pass by him, a wave hello never hurts. If you see him in the halls during passing period, a smile can catch his eye. Even better, if you two are walking in the same direction, ask what class he has and you may find yourself being his daily walking companion.

If you try all of the advice above and don’t feel any change, just remember there are more important things in life than guys. Turn to your friends for further advice – boys may come and go but friends are forever – and above all, never, ever change for a boy.

Yours truly,

Wolfie