Why are the P-building restrooms still closed?

Jada Hallman, Editor-in-Chief

Since the end of the 2016-2017 school year, the restrooms located near the P-buildings on the north side of campus have been closed. And as we enter the new 2017-2018 year, the question still lingers among students on campus as to why they’re still closed.

With students rushing from class to class, it can be difficult to find enough time to use the restroom in a busy school day. The P-building restrooms are the only restrooms on the north side of campus. The closest restrooms are located in the G building, a fairly far distance away from the portable classrooms. Due to this, students risk being tardy to class and missing out on imperative class time learning, discovering this to be an inconvenience.

High school Custodial Supervisor and Maintenance Mechanic Corey Frasier explains that the P building restrooms have been closed because of “vandalism and smoking.” Renovations are being implemented as well to remodel the restrooms. Plans to improve the conditions of these facilities include “new paint, fixtures and partitions for the stalls.” Though there is no current date that the restrooms will be reopened, Frasier explains that due to other renovations occurring around campus, the restroom facilities have not been a major project the staff has prioritized.

“I understand that it is an inconvenience,” said Frasier, “but the wait will be worth it in the end. [The students] will have fresh new clean facilities to use… Maintenance and operations department [work] for the benefit of the school and students. And we hope that the remodel will have some impact on how the students treat the facility.”

It is our responsibility as students of West High to remember to treat our campus facilities with respect. The investment the custodial staff has given in order to restore these restrooms for our use is one that will be utilized for many years to come and one that we, as students, appreciate greatly.