Ways to serve your community

Seemani Dash, Staff Reporter

When filling out college applications, seniors often realize they need community service. To complete this unofficial college requirement, students must reach out and help their community. Community service impacts the world in several ways. It brings joy to those you help and often leaves you happy as well. When asked about why students should be involved in community service activities, Career Education Technician Ms. Gayle Jackson said, “…they can get to know their community and [its needs] and be able to help their fellow members of community for the better.”

While West High does not directly require students to perform community service, programs such as Space and Engineering (SEA) and AVID involve a certain number of hours each student needs to graduate.  Both programs focus on sending students to four-year colleges, where volunteer work is recommended, but students frequently find themselves feeling content that they built relationships within the city. SEA Advisor Mr. Randy Moehnke sees how the relations between each person of the community are so closely connected: “Part of it is just being a good neighbor. We’re a part of this community; both the school community and the Tracy community.”

During your four years of high school, you are encouraged to be involved in your community all years. The earlier you start, the more you can complete. Senior AVID student Arely Barajas achieved her community service Block W, an award for one hundred hours of community service, and encourages students to get outside and help their community: “I think more people should do it because not everyone really does it, and it really helps you for college.” Community service is valuable to us for the purposes of writing college applications and maintaining the positive overall health of the community, and opportunities are always around us. The career center or any teacher can lead you to finding opportunities where you can help.

Weekly Opportunities:

For updated opportunities, check out https://www.justserve.org/

Moose Dinner: Location: Moose Lodge (35 East 6th Street, Tracy), Monday and Wednesday nights 6:00 p.m – 8:00 p.m. or Friday nights 5:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m., Contact: Alex Zamora at 209-815-6408 or [email protected]

Moose breakfast: Location: Moose Lodge (35 East 6th Street, Tracy), Sunday mornings 8:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m., Contact: Alex Zamora at 209-815-6408 or [email protected]

Nirvaana: Location: Nirvaana (1005 E. Pescadero Ave, Suite 101, Tracy – outlet mall), Saturday and Sunday afternoons 12:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m., Contact Jass Sangha at 209-740-6020 or [email protected]

Animal Rescue of Tracy: for ages 14-17, Contact: 209-831-6364 or [email protected]

Astoria Gardens: Contact: 209-833-2200 or [email protected]

Boys and Girl’s Club of Tracy: Contact: 209-832-2582

City of Tracy Animal Shelter: Contact: 209- 831-6364 or [email protected]

Give Every Child a Chance: Contact: 209-823-6222 or website: www.gecac.net

McHenry House/ Tracy Family Shelter:  Contact: 209-835-2328

New Hope Care Center: Contact: 209-832-2273

Sutter Tracy Community Hospital: Contact: 209-832-6511

Tracy Convalescent Hospital:  Contact: 209-835-6034

Tracy Interfaith Ministries: Open Saturdays 10 a.m. – 12:00 p.m., Conract: 209-836-5424

Tracy Library:  Contact: 866-805-7323 or www.ssjcpl.org