Why you should care about global warming

Natalie Mangskau, Staff Reporter

Why is it such a big deal that the Earth heats up a little every year? Why should it concern a typical high school student like yourself? What even is global warming?

Global warming is a topic you may have briefly touched upon in school or perhaps once heard on television. Air pollutants such as carbon dioxide (CO2), methane (CH4), chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) and nitrous oxide (N2O) trap the sunlight we see everyday into the Earth by creating a protective barrier between it and the open space. With no way out, the Earth keeps heating up, which leads to the problems currently being faced.

This effect disrupts all aspects of life ranging from the smallest organisms to the biggest. The increase of temperature throws off the Ecosystems, melts the ice caps in the artic and sea levels rise. One issue that can affect California the most is droughts. Droughts that can be caused by the random change in weather could cause harm in an agricultural city such as Tracy.

A topic that affects the world we live in is a serious matter that every student should be informed and taught. Should the school place a greater importance on teaching about global warming? “Looking towards the future with all bright minds, probably” says junior Marx John, “because with younger generations become [sic] new scientists that can create better generations for the future.”

Some students are weary and even unaware of the full-scale effect of global warming. When asked if the school effectively teaches about the topic, Sophomore Rhea Ramankutty says, “No, they talk about the science behind it, but they don’t talk about the effect it has on everyday life on a personal level.” Recently the science department has implemented the new “learn by doing” approach into the classroom. Although this method could possibly help future students learn, the students who are stuck in the middle of this transition should be provided and taught with information that can be learned and applied to the real world.

Why should we care about global warming? It may not affect you personally right now, but before you know it could be affecting your loved ones in the blink of an eye. So, take care of the Earth and make the world they live in safe and healthy. Taking shorter hot showers, recycling your soda and water bottles and cleaning up the community are simple everyday habits can help to prevent global warming. As students we should be aware of the situation in the place we inhabit. By being properly educated and taking action we can help create a clean Earth.