The Zephyr

New season, new team

Courtesy of Andrea Rivera

Courtesy of Andrea Rivera

Courtesy of Andrea Rivera

Jasjot Kaur, Copy & Features Editor

A new school year usually means a new season, but this time around there is also a new set-up. West High does not have an exclusive JV football team for the 2018-2019 school year. Instead, freshman and sophomores are on one team rather than their own respective ones.

When asked what prompted the integrated team, Coach Dante Dell’Aringa mentioned that there had not been enough players to support a freshman and JV team. He also added the fact that there were “plenty of numbers in the spring” but after fourth quarter grades, only around fifteen students qualified to play high school football. Qualifications to play high school sports are a GPA of at least 2.0 and no F’s. Dell’Aringa notes that freshman often struggle with the middle school to high school transition as they are dealing with a greater workload, freedom and social life which in turn reflects in their grades.

In terms of the future of West High football, Dell’Aringa hopes the freshman/sophomore team can stick together, make grades and move up to JV next year bringing West High hopefully, up to three teams once again.

Sophomores Fernando Moreno and Enrique Ulloa don’t mind playing with freshman this school year. Ulloa mentioned how at first it was a different dynamic as they didn’t know the freshman but now they’ve bonded.

Tactics wise, Dell’Aringa isn’t expecting too much modifying as he noted that, “At the end of the day, it’s the same game. It’s about fundamentals, discipline, being there everyday for your teammates and working as hard as you can.” Following these steps can aid success not only in football but all sports.

For anyone considering joining football, Dell’Aringa reflected on how football had helped him when he was in high school to break out of his shell and become more outgoing. He also mentioned how players learn to become leaders, independent and accountable for their responsibilities.  

Although some may be worried about the future of West High football, our players and coaches are confident in their skills and have proven to roll with the punches to make the most of a single team.

Whether it be one team or two, we support our football players for the whole nine yards and wish them the best as the 2018-2019 season kicks off.