There’s more than one way to college

Courtesy of Stanislaus State University

Natalie Mangskau, News Editor

As the school year starts many students have adjusted to the joy, stress, and work of school.  To the current juniors and underclassmen, keep an eye on your grades, as the year for your college admissions is approaching too.

4 year universities typically look for the basic A-G requirements when looking at your high school transcript.

A-G college requirements

1. History (2 years)
  2. English (4 years)
  3. Mathematics (3 years, 4 recommended)
  4. Laboratory Science (2 years, 3 recommended)
  5. Modern Language (2 years, 3 recommended)
  6. Visual or Preforming Arts (1 year)
  7. College Preparatory Electives (1 year)

Mandatory requirements for TUSD students are cited in the TUSD student handbook online and in the planner given at the beginning of the year. Requirements include taking two years of math, one class being algebra 1. Three years of science include one year of biological science such as biology, Biology Pre- AP, Ag Biology, Human Physiology and Integrated Science 2. One year in a physical science such as Chemistry, Chemistry Honors, Applied Chemistry, Earth Science, Physics, Ag Earth Science, Natural Resources, Integrated Science 1 and Conceptual Physics.

If you want to attend a UC, but didn’t get the grades in high school most California community colleges have Transfer Admission Guarantee (TAG) programs.   These TAG programs will transfer a student to a designated UC after completing the required units at their community college. Attending a community college is a more affordable option for the same general education units needed for all colleges. The grades you earn at the community college are reviewed upon admission to the UC rather than your high school grades.

Taking a fifth year of English, AP classes, SAT scores and standardized testing such as the CAASPP are other pathways to go to college. These multiple ways to college gives every student the equal chance to achieve their dreams as one pathway a student takes to college may not work for the other. Take advantage of the resources and options that are available to reach your highest potential in education.