Prom Prep: How to perfect your prom night

courtesy of Unsplash.com

Jada Hallman, Editor-in-Chief

Imagine it’s the morning of March 30. Last night, you watched High School Musical 3 until 2am and practiced your dance moves to classic popular anthems that are bound to be played the following night. Nothing you need is where you need it. Shoes? Scuffed. ID card? Missing. Outfit? Wrinkled. You’re late to group pictures and you almost miss the school bus leaving for San Francisco. Sounds like a nightmare, right?

Our favorite childhood movies and singalong songs paint the perfect, picturesque prom night with flawless makeup and impressive dance moves, but life happens. To make sure your prom night is as fun, safe and seamless as possible, here are some tips to follow for a night to remember.

1.) Eat the right foods the week before: Making sure you are eating healthy and drinking plenty of water the days prior to prom will help clear your skin, hydrate you, lessen any bloating and give you the energy you’ll need to dance the night away.

2.) Plan group pictures beforehand: Whether it is just you, you and your date, a small group of friends or everyone you know, taking photos is one of the most fun parts of prom. Research poses you would like to try on Pinterest or other photography websites. Rent a photographer and split the bill or take your own with a good cell phone camera. And pick a scenic location that fits all of your smiles.

3.) Pre-prom hygiene for boys: Don’t forget the little details guys, they can make all the difference. Some tips include trimming and cleaning your fingernails, getting a fresh haircut, giving yourself a close shave, finding a nice cologne and of course, freshening up with a shower.

4.) Pre-prom hygiene for girls: Need some tricks to look your best prom night? Brush your lips with a lip scrub and lip balm for a flawless lipstick application. Apply your eyeshadow before your foundation or other complexion makeup to cover up fallout beneath your eyes. Blend your foundation down your neck and up to your ears to make sure your makeup matches your skin. Lastly, double up on hairspray by applying it before and after styling your hairdo.

5.) What to pack for prom emergencies: Bringing oil-blotting sheets, extra bobby pins or hair ties, a mini mirror, lip gloss or lipstick, a cell phone charger, extra contact lenses, a compact brush, travel hairspray or perfume may save you from sweating all of your prom look off on the dance floor.

6.) Brighten your smile: Swap your normal toothpaste with a whitening one that protects your teeth from stains. Avoid dark soda, coffee or tea to keep your teeth as white as possible.

7.) Set out what you need the night before: Being prepared the night before will save you from prom-day stresses. Make sure your dress or suit is pressed and ironed, fitted to your size (get it altered weeks in advance) and laid out ready to be put on in the afternoon. Charge your phone and empty as much storage on it as you can to be used for photo space.

8.) Communicate with your date: If you’re spending prom night with a date, make sure you both agree on a matching color to wear and are updated on your plans. Don’t forget to order your corsage and boutonniere in advance, or make your own!

Courtesy of Unsplash