Spreading Peace on Campus

Photo by RhiRhi Deschine

RhiRhi Deschine, Staff Reporter

On September 20, the Human Rights class celebrated Peace Day during lunch in the quad. Peace Day is celebrated every year to recognize the efforts of those who work hard to end conflict and promote peace.  This year’s theme, “Climate Action for Peace”, is to help bring awareness that climate change is affecting the world. Everything is happening faster than it should be because the temperatures are rising and will continue rising unless something changes. According to NASA on https://climate.nasa.gov/, “Glaciers have shrunk, ice on rivers and lakes is breaking up earlier, plant and animal ranges have shifted and trees are flowering sooner.”

Social Science teacher Nico Sandoval said, “The Human Rights class has been working on and off for about a month putting together ideas of what to do, talking to teachers about getting their classes to participate, putting together presentations [for Peace Day].”  The Human Rights class worked hard in preparation for this day, and it paid off as they were successful in bringing many students over to talk and celebrate Peace Day. Of course, this day isn’t just about talking and celebrating; it’s about making a change for the world to be a better place.

“Peace Day is about, here at West High, to bring everyone on campus here together with fun activities… and just having everyone hang and have a good time,” Sandoval said. Groups of people stood in line to get a butterfly, heart and other peace symbols painted on their faces. There was also a line to write down positive messages on sticky notes to be read by everyone who needs a little encouragement, and many people used chalk to create beautiful art and inspiring messages. The Human Rights class did many activities like placing windmills around the pavement, and presented to classes about the importance of Peace Day and what everyone can do to help.

Peace Day poster is filled with positive messages by students.

There are many conflicts today, especially with climate change looming over our heads. It’s a nice feeling to be able to celebrate Peace Day with everyone around the world. What will you do?