Book Review: “Tuesdays with Morrie”

Photo+courtesy+of+Google.+

Photo courtesy of Google.

Anysa Mendoza, Staff Reporter

“Tuesdays with Morrie” is a wonderfully written book about an old man’s reflection of life. The book touched me immediately because of the way Mitch Albom, a sports journalist, expressed his admiration for his old college professor Morrie Schwartz’s “belief in humanity”. This true story is about Morrie Schwartz, who was diagnosed with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), teaching a class about the meaning of life to his only student, Mitch Albom, on Tuesdays. Morrie taught his last class based on his own experiences of life’s greatest lessons, such as family, aging, money, death and much more. Analyzing the book brought a sense of positivity and realism into light as he showed that love was the only answer to living beautifully.

Morrie taught vividly through conversation, not lectures or tests like most teachers. He was involved and interested in the lives of his students, which I personally think our school system needs more of. To Mitch, Morrie was more than a teacher. He was his friend who gave inspiring advice. Mitch came out of every class a little different with a new perspective. Being able to read what Morrie had to say was a gift. He emphasized love and human connection. I believe in the importance of both, so reading each chapter opened my eyes to the way our society views these so cynically. Morrie makes you want more meaningful people in your life who love you for who you are and put effort into their relationships.

The 192 page book was easy to read, and I was hooked from the beginning. Morrie had a lot to say about the significance each person holds and the understanding each one of us needs to have about the world we live in. I recommend this book to anyone who needs a little light in their life or is looking for a heartwarming story. Overall, I would give this 5  out of 5 paws.