Raising Questions About AP Exams

Art by Tynen Jensen.

Puja Patel, Sports Editor

For those of you who don’t know, CollegeBoard is a company that holds the SAT and Advanced Placement (AP) exams throughout the nation to help students get into college. With a new school year, CollegeBoard has unfairly decided to change up how it will handle the AP exams that thousands of students take every May. However, one of the biggest changes to this year’s test is when students can sign up. In previous years, students could decide by the end of February. But now students must decide by November. I believe the new registration date is absurd because it rushes students to register. We were previously at least able to see how we managed our grades during first semester, and our teachers were given ample time to tell we were prepared to even take the exam. This change doesn’t give us this flexibility. I’m not sure if I’m even prepared to take all the AP exams that I registered and paid for, but I had to so I wouldn’t have to pay an extra $40 on top of the unreasonable cost of $94 per exam. Another one of the new changes to this school year is the use of the AP Classroom. This resource allows teachers to assign students checkpoints throughout the year in order to help them prepare for the AP exam. However, this addition also has disadvantages. For example, I wanted to take the AP Statistics exam even though I am not taking the class. But with the way College board set up registration this year, our school had to set up our school’s registration a different way, which wasn’t properly communicated. As a result, I am not allowed to take the AP Statistics exam. I was sent back with my money and told to have a good day.All these changes by the CollegeBoard are raising an important question: is CollegeBoard making these changes to benefit students or to hinder us?