What is FFA?

Logan Scheidtmann, Staff Reporter

FFA is a big program in United States. But what is it Exactly? It’s Future Farmers of America, and is one of the largest farm programs in the whole U.S. It was founded in 1928 by four people: Henry Groseclose, Walter Newman, Edmund Magill and Harry Sanders. Their mission was to prepare future generations for the challenges of feeding a growing population. They taught us that agriculture is more than planting and harvesting – it’s a science, it’s a business and it’s an art.

Now to interview one of many FFA teachers at Merrill F West, Taylor Myers. “How long have you been here?” Myers says that this is her second year here at West. Why did you take a job here at Merrill F west She said she met her teaching partners and wanted the best for her student, and she says teaching chem and physics is cool. What got you into FFA being in high school she always wanted to be a vet and at her high school her friend said that there is a new program and thought that vet school would be too expensive and went the FFA route. What is your favorite part of being a FFA seeing the growth that the kids make and showing new opportunities to kids through labs and that FFA and FFA has a bunch of opportunities for kids.

First with FFA President Jocelyn Silveria, we asked her what she likes about FFA she said she likes the opportunities that it offers her, the different trips she goes on and all the other stuff she does with FFA. We also asked her what FFA has taught you so far she says listing skills and how to lead a group as well with speaking skills. She also said that her biggest accomplishment is that she gets to talk to legislatures for agricultural rights at the capital