All city meet

Sahar Fayaz, Staff Reporter

The ‘Pack versus the Jaguars versus the Bulldogs; sounds impossible right? Wrong. It all took place at the Steve Lopez Stadium at West High on March 3. West hosted the All City Meet this season, and the excitement couldn’t be held in. “Nothing is easy in track,” said throwing Coach Mr. Bob Loggins, so the team has been working hard and pushing boundaries this season. Pole-vaulting Coach Mr. Andrew Terry said, “We have a lot to work on, but we’re alright.”

But is alright going to help us win? According to junior Zayed Zaman, distance runner, “West is a better team but they are also great teams; we won’t be able to beat them unless we go all out.” Distance coach Ms. Theresa James said this meet will be an “easy victory” for West with hard work and dedication.

All that hard work paid off in the end. West dominated. Varsity boys came in first with 95 points, Varsity girls in first with 74 points, Frosh/Soph boys came in first with 73 points and Frosh/Soph girls came in second with 47 points.

Remarkable Varsity sprinters like seniors Dion Collier and Alexis Lockard came in first for the 200 Meters and distance runners like senior Bianca Duran came in first in the one mile with a time of 5:42. Sophomore discus thrower Shantel Nnaji came in first, beating Tracy’s stronger throwing group. Senior throwers Emran Kazem and Jarrett Rasmussen took first and second throwing the 12 pound shotput. Seniors HerbieJo Dela Cruz, Ivie Eboigbodin, Alexis Lockard and freshman Shayla Neverson also took first in the Varsity girls 4×100.

Overall West took home the anticipated win. With dedicated coaches, runners, throwers, pole-vaulters and jumpers, everyone can tell West High’s track team is in it to win it.