West High senior leaps over competition at national level

Jada Hallman, Editor-in-Chief

West High is known for breeding athletes who compete at a level above the rest, and our teams take great pride in knowing they are bound for greatness. West High’s own senior Warren “Jared” Williams knew this, that his background, his supporters and his coaches, had conditioned him to compete and place in the 41st annual Idaho Simplot Games February 14-16. Williams placed first in the preliminary boys 60 meter hurdles and 3rd in the finals, running for BEAST Athletic Performance.  

The J.R. Simplot Company-sponsored event was held in Idaho State University’s Hold Arena in Pocatello, Idaho and is “one of the nation’s premier high school indoor track and field events,” according to its website www.simplotgames.com. There, Williams was surrounded by 2,200 other athletes from 19 different states, Canada, New Zealand and Australia.  

Williams took advantage of this opportunity before West’s track and field season actually began, knowing that the experience racing against skilled competition on a national level would help prepare him for what was ahead on the league track. “It felt pretty good to get some times in before the season starts,” said Williams. “The best experience I’ve gained is through my competition, to see how good others are and [learn] ways I can improve myself.” 

With hurdles 39’’ tall, Williams raced the preliminary Varsity heat in 8.29 seconds, earning first place out of the 5 other runners and went on to the 60 meter hurdles finals with an 8.20 second sprint. With competitors racing and falling narrowly short by hundredths of a second, Williams was able to utilize the skills he’s learned as a sprinter for West High’s track and field team on a more elevated level of competition.  

“He is an exceptional runner; he is one of those kids that gets up at 5:30 in the morning for weight training… he does all of the little things it takes to be a champion,” said sprinter Coach TJ Williams. “He knows what it takes to get to the next level and he’s doing it. He’s passionate about it, and he’s trying to put himself in the position to get a scholarship.” 

Jared’s story shows us that we are all capable of accomplishing our dreams, and with determination and hard-work, the finish line is within our reach. 

View Williams’s race at https://www.runnerspace.com/eprofile.php?do=videos&event_id=1158&video_id=266827&utm_source=athleticdotnet&utm_medium=videothumb&utm_campaign=athleticdotnetresults