Homecoming Parade

Sahar Fayaz, Opinion Editor

Blue and gold marched across the streets of Downtown Tracy on Friday October 7. West High celebrated its Homecoming Parade and gave the community something fun to watch as well. Families, alumni and children watched as the streets flooded with ‘Pack pride, cheering them as they marched along.

The parade kicked off with West High’s Junior Reserved Officer Training Corps (JROTC) class and Tracy Veterans, then progressed with West High’s Marching Band. Many West High clubs such as Art Club, Black Student Union (BSU), Gay Straight Alliance (GSA) and Drama Club flaunted their spirit at the parade. West High’s Volleyball team, Football team, Cheerleaders and Cross Country team participated as well. The Space and Engineering Academy (SEA) walked alongside their float as they introduced their Geek and Geekette, Alexis Vazquez and Jessica Nguyen. FFA marched alongside animals and let the crowd pet them, while other parade participants tossed candy at the crowd. Some guest appearances were made by Dr. Silver and Monte Vista’s Mustang Marching Band, Mr. Behnam’s daughters, West High teachers and TUSD Board Member Jill Costa.

Class floats were made with the theme “seasons” in mind. The freshmen float’s theme was fall, sophomores had the theme winter, juniors had spring and seniors had summer. Juniors won in the end. When asked about her reaction, junior Sydney Feinstein said, “It didn’t seem real when we won. It was so exciting for everyone involved, due to the fact that we broke the stereotype that seniors always win. It was such a proud moment for everyone involved in the making of the float.”

paradeOthers, however, enjoyed participating in the parade. Senior Azaleia Caluza said, “Being a part of the homecoming parade was a fun and exciting experience. The energy of the crowd was great, there were many families who came and supported each student who was part of the parade.” Her favorite part was seeing kids full of excitement while watching the parade. “I think everyone did a great job representing West High.”

Onlookers seem to enjoy what the students put on. When asked about her thoughts on the parade, West High Graduate Faith Allen said, “Personally, it was like going back in time, fun and perfectly resembled Tracy and the fall season.”