The Zephyr

Students rally in spirit

Back to Article
Back to Article

Students rally in spirit

Photographer: Casey White

Photographer: Casey White

Photographer: Casey White

Photographer: Casey White

Hailey Fargo, News Editor

The West versus Tracy basketball games would soon be happening which meant that it was time for the Slam Jam rally. After a long anticipated week that included spirit days such as sneakers versus slides, present versus past, athletes versus mathletes and neon versus white out, it was finally time for the rally. On January 25, the students of West High crowded into the gymnasium for the Slam Jam rally. The Leadership students of West High, along with their advisor Mr. Behnam, worked extremely hard on this year’s rally. However they wouldn’t have been able to pull it off without amazing performances from clubs such as Black Student Union (BSU), Asian Pacific Islanders (API), the Royal Gs and more.

West High’s winter sports started off the rally with the varsity boys soccer team first, followed by the varsity girls soccer team, the wrestling team and finally the varsity girls and boys basketball teams running out to the music of their choice. Then the varsity girls and boys from the basketball teams played a game where each team picked two players and had them shoot hoops. The player that made the most three-pointers won and versed the other team. During first rally, there was a contest between Coach Wichman and Mr. Dell ‘Aringa where they saw who could shoot the most hoops and during second rally there was one between Mr. Sandoval, Mr. Memory and Mr. von Stade.

Next up in this jam-packed rally were performances from different clubs on campus. BSU was the first to wow the crowd with their amazing performance. Next the audience steered their attention towards Korean Pop’s (KPOP) incredible routine followed by Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlán’s (MEChA) captivating performance. Then API danced their way into the crowd’s hearts. The Royal Gs then stunned the audience with their performance. Finally, to get the crowd even more spirited the cheerleaders, dance team and drumline each performed their own impressive routines.

Whether you’re helping set up, watching or performing, these rallies can be fun for everyone. Leadership student, Michael O’Leary said his favorite part about setting up rallies is “…getting up at six in the morning on rally day because the grind is real.” O’Leary feels that seeing all his classmates filled with joy while watching these rallies makes all the hard work worth it. Cheerleader, Mackenzie Loche’s favorite part about performing is “ …getting to show off everything we worked and practiced so hard for.” Her favorite part about these rallies is “seeing all the school spirit and everyone getting excited for all the sports and performances.” With an overwhelming amount of energy and spirit coming from the crowd, you could definitely say that this rally was a success.