Students honored to perform in Tracy honors

Andrea Rivera, Sports Editor

On February 3, many students from West High participated in the annual Tracy honors concert. The performance had many flock to buy tickets just to hear the wonderful music played by the students ranging from middle school to high school.

One of those students, Justin Silva, an alto saxophone and freshman here at West High, considers it an honor to perform in the program. “Not everybody gets to be in the honors band, and I practiced for hours to make sure I do well.” When asked what his favorite piece out of the five played by the concert band was he said, “Quad City Stomp because it has the really cool saxophone part that is fast and fun.”

One of the many guest conductors was Dr. Ruth Brittin, who conducted the honors concert band. Dr. Brittin is a director for the music education program at University of the Pacific, which she has led for 20 years. She is an active performer, conductor, clinician and arranger/composer in many states. Dr. Brittin’s favorite part of the honors program is that, “Everyone values it and how focused everyone is and enjoy each other’s playing.” She believes that the program is, “super fun… and anyone who is thinking of joining music is going to find a family, and for current musicians, that is the best thing to have: that sort of family.”

For many of these students, this is their last year in the honors program. Senior Karina Gomez, a West High clarinetist reflected, “This is my first and last time performing in the honors program. My favorite part was meeting more people that play the same instrument as me.” Overall, it was another grand performance held at the Grand Theater made possible by students who have practiced their hearts out and performed with passion.