The Zephyr

Hello summer vacation: what to do to have an unforgettable summer

Jada Hallman, Editor-in-Chief

When we can finally say farewell to textbooks, desks and lectures and say hello to swimsuits, barbeques and sleeping in, the time of the year is undeniably summer vacation. But as those days trudge along, the excitement fades and the heat waves drain all of our energy, we may sometimes fall victim to boredom. No need to worry, don’t miss out on these fun and cheap summer event ideas that will guarantee you, your friends and family a memorable summer! Remember to stay safe, enjoy your well-deserved vacation and have fun!

• Downtown Tracy Block Parties: Don’t forget about the exciting and engaging events thrown by our own little Tracy. From June to August, Downtown Tracy sets up “Music on the Plaza” for the community, with live music, art and food from 6-9 pm at 6th Street and Central Ave. Grab a few friends and dance the night away to Motown Soul, country, rock and 80’s performances!
  • Movies on the Plaza: The Parks and Recreation Department of Tracy also hosts “Movies on the Plaza” for locals at the Civic Center Plaza between 10th and East Street. Every month from June to August, movies are played at sunset and this year’s lineup includes Despicable Me 3, Jumanji (2018) and The Emoji Movie. Don’t forget your chairs, snacks and blankets for a comfy summer night watching a movie.
  • Events at the Joe Wilson Pool: Our own city pool, Joe Wilson Pool, will be holding some activities for friends and families over the summer too! The “World’s Largest Swim Lesson,” held June 21 from 1-3pm, opens the pool for all family members and friends free of charge for 60-minute swim lessons. And among other activities, from “Dive-in Movies” to teen pool parties, you don’t want to pass up these aquatic events that let you cool off from that summer sun.
  • Tracy Farmers Market: Every Saturday starting April 7 through November 17, the San Joaquin Certified Farmers Market will be saying good morning to all of Tracy at 8am to 1pm. Here you will be able to purchase some of the county’s best fresh fruits and vegetables while also supporting over 70 local artisans and food vendors. Stroll downtown and enjoy the early summer morning while visiting the local market.
  • Discount museum tickets: Some museums in San Francisco have free or discount admission on certain days of the month to bring in more customers. The Exploratorium, a museum of art, science and human perception on Pier 15, will be open for free on June 22 and September 22. The San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) offers free admission to all visitors under the age of 18, as long as they have reserved a ticket online in advance. The Asian Art Museum, showcasing over 17,000 artworks spanning over 6,000 years of Asian art history, at 200 Larkin Street has free admission the first Sunday of every month. The Yerba Buena Center for the Arts, which has multidisciplinary art, performances and video exhibits, on 3rd and Mission Street offers free tickets on the first Tuesday of every month.
  • Movies on the Beach: If you’re in the mood for a day at the beach, Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk is hosting a free “Movies on the Beach” on Wednesday nights at 9pm from June to August. Starting with The Lost Boys, and ending the summer with Raiders of the Lost Ark, and many other classics in between, you will not want to pass up these ocean-front films. Explore the boardwalk in the morning, go for a swim in the afternoon and catch a movie at night for an unforgettable summer experience.